I'm mad at an Ensign article, and yes it's me being prideful, and yes I know the message being given is worthwhile and doctrinally correct and blah blah blah. I'm just being petty, and I don't really care.
Here it is: I knew the article was written by a man even though the name was withheld. Oh, it was. He talked about upholding his priesthood. But I knew. Because he was talking about the subject in a detached, analytical manner that pissed me off. Oh, it is the one about bipolar disorder in this month's issue. I feel like, even though he is right, he is being so preachy about it. Ugh. "Oh my gosh, I was so devastated when I found out I was bipolar! I have no future! Waaaah!" Yeah, way to be. It isn't the end of the freaking world. It isn't the worst thing anybody ever heard in a doctor's office. It isn't like they said, "You have dead-in-two-weeks disease." Dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.
Don't tell me what to do! Don't talk about it like, "Gee, it's hard. I've been there. You ought to do this instead of what you are doing. Then you'll be just fine."
No, it wasn't even like that - It was more like, "One who feels this way should feel this other way because that is correct doctrine." WE KNOW. It isn't easy, stupid. And what is up with "name withheld?" Here you are - I mean, here one is, saying you want to dispel misconceptions and increase understanding of mental illness, but I don't want anyone to know I have it.
Nobody try to get this guy off the hook. Or sympathize. I just want to yell about it and throw the magazine across the room (done already), and get over it on my own. It's just another case of stupid sunshine hymns.
8 comments:
Brian and I completely agree! Brian has some views on mental illness and the people of the church's views on mental illness that have helped me A LOT! For instance, you cannot just read your scriptures everyday and suddenly never feel sad again! You cannot deny your feelings and change you actions - and then wow you are healed of all mental illness! It just cannot happen that way! Its a real thing and it really affects people! Brian tells this great story about a man in a deep hole with a shovel. He digs and digs, but he doesn't get out of the hole! Then someone comes along, say a nice church friend or the guy who wrote the Ensign article, he tells the man he knows what to do and he goes and gets a shovel and throws it down to him. He tries again, digs and digs, of course, does not get out of the hole. In the story other people come offer shovels, but lets face it. We've tried the shovel! That particular shovel does not work in this particular situation. It may work for some people, but its not working here. You see what I mean? There are so many crutches that people assume HAVE to work for everyone. Just change your mind and be happy. Just BE Happy! NO! Don't you get that I CAN"T BE happy!?! Its not that I don't want to. I've tried all the shovels you have handed me, but there is something more to it. The Lord can help us and the Lord will help us, but it won't work for us to just deny our emotions and try to suppress them away and just Suddenly BE happy! Brian explains all this stuff SO much better than me by the way!
Man oh man, you have a new loyal reader! I feel awful I haven't called you...what did I say about getting together, um July? Is that really 5 months ago? I miss ya, but I feel caught up (I've back-read the last month of your life). :-) I LOVE blogs - I'll be tuning in about 7:45 Monday through Friday mornings (with my morning coffee)...
Word to that Jennifer.
There's nothing worse than when someone tells you how to feel.
BOOOOOOO "name withheld".
HISSSSSS BOOOOOOO
I'm scared to read the article. I don't need anymore pee in my Cheerios. I hate stupidity! Did I spell that right?
I read the article and it didn't bother me but your right. It wasn't like he was saying that you just need to pray harder. A lot of what he said was right but the way he conveyed it was preachy. Also the fact that he withheld his name made it seem like he was embarrassed and shameful of his illness. It seems to go against everything he is saying in the article. And the way he described being diagnosed as if it were some kind of death sentence. Give me a break. There are a lot worse things than that. When Gary was diagnosed it was lke a huge weight had been lifted. It was wonderful. It was empowering. I think you need to write an article for the Ensign Jen.
i dont have your email address and by the way neither does the ward directory on the website so i couldnt send you an evite to our new years eve party. i realize this is VERY, VERY late ,especially to get a babysitter, but if yall can come that would be great!! i only got the other evites sent out yesterday.
I know this has nothing to do with your blog comment but this background is making me really excited for Mexico next week- and for the Hawaii trip I told Rusty he will take me on next year for our 10 year:) Who can be in a bad mood with this background?
i havent read the article but will do so. I need to order the ensign.im bad.
Post a Comment