So, I was reading an online discussion about an article about her committing suicide. And there was some STUPID STUPID STUPID idiots without a lick of sense in their empty heads who said crap like:
"she was not a depressive personality, her depression in later years was situational and incidental, not innate!"
"her legacy will be somewhat overshadowed by the label 'mentally ill'."
"she lacked the love and balance of marital/relationship happiness she needed to flourish and live to a ripe old age"
"Anyone taking that many drugs would appear mentally ill. Her entire life was dedicated to the earnest pursuit of security and status. Why should Lucy be happy?"
Depressive personality? DEPRESSION ISN'T A PERSONALITY TRAIT YOU SELF-RIGHTEOUS CRAP-LOAD OF IDIOCY! And who the crap cares if it stemmed from events in her life? It's still a mental illness. Period. And apparently all us depressed folks need is a happy marriage to "flourish." Thanks, Tom Cruise. I'll toss back a couple of Flintstones vitamins and sleep with my husband daily. And I like how taking drugs makes her appear mentally ill. WHAT WAS SHE TAKING THE DRUGS FOR, FOOL? She didn't appear to have a fever! Yeah, she didn't deserve happiness. She brought it on herself. She chose a lifestyle so horrible that she committed suicide. Logical. I just choose to lie on the couch and cry for no apparent reason while the house falls apart around me. Good times.
Fortunately, there was a crazy in there who provided comic relief. I quote:
"Today many people suffer from depression because they are not conscious of the fact that we are going through an intense Planetary and Spiritual evolution...Come to understand the Plan for the Planet as set out in the Mayan Calendar"
By the way, they were Canadians.
11 comments:
Isn't the lack of information and understanding about mental illness just wonderful?? I think the people who make the quoted statements are in sheer denial that they are in need of help for their own mental illnesses! Plus critics always seem like they are just speaking to hear themselves talk - I don't think they even listen to themselves. Its just awful! I'll be calling you sometime soon! Thanks for the call!
Wow. I don't even know what to say about it all. You pretty much covered my feelings and then some! I can say it really sucks to be depressed! Through my own struggles with my mental health I have learned to be more understanding of others. Obviously the people commenting have little experience with mental illness. Thanks for clearing it up for them.
So I have a theory about Canadian literature that is only partially related to this post. I'm going to share it anyway.
In the YA collection at the library, we have tons of random books printed by Canadian publishers. Every single one of them sounds like the most depressing piece of literature ever written. My working theory is that L.M. Montgomery used up all the happiness allotted for Canadian literature early on and since then, no one has been able to pen a happy book in that country.
It's just a silly theory, but I'm sticking to it.
I also have a theory on women writers in general. Some of the most famous women writers from the beginning of the 20th century, Virginia Woolf, for instance, wrote stunningly gorgeous novels and suffered from untreated mental illnesses. I sometimes wonder if the writing in part comes about because whatever they suffered from was going untreated. Writing as an outlet, perhaps? Had they received the same level of support people receive now, would they still have created the works they did? Of course, but to the same degree?
Anyway, it's an interesting question. There are some stories that were definitely shaped by whatever the author was struggling with. ("The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is a semi-autobiographical short story about a woman suffering from PTSD.) For others, there might not be an connection at all.
(And I just wrote a novel. So sorry!)
OK, Jen ... take a breath. Now, repeat after me: "People are stupid" Over about 1000 times. Works for me - it does not even bother me anymore - people are just plain stupid about something they know nothing about, but oh, my ... aren't we all so quick to open our mouths (I don't mean anyone here, man - this is not coming out right...)?
Just because Tom Cruise thinks its a good idea to sleep with your husband daily doesn't make it a bad idea.
I'm buying a bottle of Flinstone's from Sam's tomorrow!!!!
Amen, Jen!!!!
Sometimes I share things I've read with James, think I will omit a few things out of this one or he will be at Sam's with Andy buying Flintsone's and agreeing with Tom Cruise..... all for the sake to help our marriage flourish of course, ha!
You are hilarious! I could not stop laughing at the Tom Cruise comment. And you're right, people are stupid.
As you would say Jen, "People aint no damn good." Next time I feel down I will pull out my Mayan calendar and see what the plan is for our planet. I don't know why I'd never thought of that before!!
I seem to remember a certain game of Trivial Pursuit and a certain question about a certain favorite author and a certain girl getting said certain question wrong. That's all.
Boutros Boutros-Ghali!
Don't EVEN get me started on Tom Cruise... he is the king of stupid people.
frequently, when i'm reading either your or liz's blog, i get really sad that i didn't get my ph.d. i was going to go into clinical psychology. i wanted to have the skills to try and understand (and maybe even help) you in your world. someday i'll make it back to school...
Post a Comment